Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre?
- The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre is home for all things comedy in Los Angeles. Our 92 seat theatre offers affordable, high quality shows seven nights a week. All shows are all ages. We also run one of the largest and most respected improv schools in the country.
- Who are the Upright Citizens Brigade?
- Upright Citizens Brigade is: Matt Besser, Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh. The four members produced their own sketch show Upright Citizens Brigade for three seasons on Comedy Central in 1998-2000. During the success of the TV show, UCB opened a comedy theatre and improv school in New York City. In 2005, UCB expanded to the west coast and opened a theatre and improv school in Los Angeles.
- Where is UCB Theatre located?
Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre
5919 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028
UCB Theatre is located at the foot of the Hollywood Hills across from the Scientology Celebrity Centre. Our neighborhood is largely residential; please be quiet and courteous in the area and dispose of all trash properly.
Our all ages venue sits adjacent to several restaurants and bars including Birds, Prizzi's, La Poubelle and Taiyo. Grab a drink before a show or scope out the great used selection of records and books at Counterpoint.
- What kind of shows play at UCB Theatre?
- UCB Theatre hosts all kinds of comedy shows: improv, stand-up, sketch, talk/variety, etc. ONLY comedy shows play at UCB Theatre.
SEEING A SHOW
- How do I claim my reservation?
- Reservations are claimed as we seat the house — doors to the theatre open roughly 15 minutes before showtime. There are no physical tickets so reservations can NOT be claimed before the theatre begins seating for the show.
Once we begin seating for your show, simply state the full name of the confirmed reservation holder and pay CASH ONLY admission.
Reservations remaining unclaimed 5 minutes before showtime will be released to our standby list.
- What time should I arrive for a show?
- We typically begin seating 15 minutes before showtime. Customers arriving before the theatre is open for seating will be asked to form a line outside the theatre. Please line single-file along the curb and leave sidewalk clear for all pedestrian traffic.
For popular shows we recommend customers arrive 30-45 minutes before showtime for good seats. Seating is general admission (first-come, first served) so patrons first in line with reservations will have first choice of seating.
- Do you accept credit cards?
UCB Theatre accepts cash only at the theatre. Shows, concessions and merchandise may only be paid for with cash.
The nearest ATM machines are located at Franklin & Tamarind near the entrance to Bourgeois Pig coffee shop and at Franklin & Bronson inside Gelson's grocery store.
- What parking is available?
- UCB Theatre offers valet service conveniently located at Franklin & Tamarind (in front of The Daily Planet & Bourgeois Pig). The valet service fee is currently $5.00. Please be advised other nearby valets are not contracted by UCB Theatre.
- What ages are admitted?
UCB Theatre is an all ages venue. The theatre does not serve alcohol.
Please note many of our shows contain adult language and content and may not be appropriate for young or sensitive customers. If you have a question about a specific show, please contact a UCB Theatre manager at 323.908.8702 or [email protected]
- Can I photograph / videotape / audiotape the show?
- Absolutely NO video or audio recording is permitted without explicit permission from both the theatre and performers.
Still photography is allowed without flash.
Highlights from past shows in addition to original UCB videos may be viewed at UCBcomedy.com.
- Do you serve food or alcohol?
- UCB Theatre does NOT serve food or any alcoholic beverages. Soda and water are available in the lobby for $1.
It is unlawful to possess an open container of any alcohol beverage on or adjacent to UCB Theatre premises (LA MC 41.27 (H)).
Several bars and restaurants great for pre and post-show activities are located on our block:
Birds Rotisserie Chicken Café & Bar (American, Bar)
5925 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
323.465.0175 Yelp Listing
La Poubelle (French, Bar)
5907 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
Prizzi's Piazza (Italian, Pizza)
5923 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
Taiyo (Japanese, Sushi)
5917 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
Bourgeois Pig (Coffee & Tea)
5931 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
Pimai Restaurant (Thai)
5833 Franklin Avenue, LA CA 90028
- Birds Rotisserie Chicken Café & Bar (American, Bar)
- Can I rent UCB Theatre?
- No, the theatre is not available for show rentals. UCB Theatre offers a free performance space, however all shows are booked at the discretion of our Artistic Director.
- How do I put up my show at UCB Theatre?
- All shows are booked at the discretion of our Artistic Director, Neil Campbell.
UCB Theatre has a specific style and approach to comedy. Most of the shows staged at UCBTLA are developed by alumni of our Training Center, however outside submissions are welcome.
Completed show submissions may be sent to [email protected] or:
Alex Berg, Artistic Director Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre 5919 Franklin Avenue Hollywood, CA 90028Show submissions should include show title, script and/or DVD, cast list, director name and press (if applicable). Shows should be completed, rehearsed and ready to be seen by the Artistic Director.
Due to the large number of requests, you will only be contacted if we are interested in staging your show. Submission materials will not be returned.
- Can I perform stand-up at UCB Theatre?
- Yes, limited opportunities are available in UCBT's Monthly Open Mic (the last Friday of every month at 6:30pm). For more information, visit UCBT's Monthly Open Mic show page.
- Can I perform improv at UCB Theatre?
- UCB Theatre improv performers are trained by our Longform Improvisation Training Center. Every level includes at least one performance on the UCB Theatre stage. Upon completion of Improv 401, students are eligible to audition for a spot on one of our house teams that perform in Harold Night. Completion of our improv program does not guarantee placement on a team. Auditions are held on an as-needed basis.
Two improv performance opportunities are available for improvisers: Long Hard Improv Jam and Cagematch. See the applicable show pages for more information.